(1) If your mainboard has a BIOS protection jumper, please change the setting to allow BIOS flashing.
(2) Make a DOS boot disk. (See example: Windows 98 O.S.)
Beware: Windows 2000 are not allowed to make a DOS boot diskette.
a. With an available floppy disk in the floppy drive. Please leave the disk "UN-write protected" type. Double
click the "My Computer" icon from Desktop, then click "3.5 diskette (A)" and right click to select "Format (M)".
b. Select the "Quick (erase)" for Format Type, and pick both "Display summary when finished" and "Copy
system files", after that press "Start". That will format the floppy and transfer the needed system files to it.
c. After the floppy has been formatted completely, please press "Close".
Step 2. Download BIOS and BIOS utility program
(1) Please go to ECS website at http://www.ecs.com.tw and click "Download".
(2) At “Download” zone, click the "BIOS" and “BIOS Flash Utility”.
(3) Choose an appropriate model name in accordance with user's manual or based on the motherboard
revision that can be found near the AGP slot.
(1) Make sure the system will boot from the floppy disk. After the system boots from floppy disk, type "A:\> dir" and
press "Enter" to check the entire files in floppy A. Then type the "BIOS flash utility" and "BIOS file" after A:\>. In
this case you have to type "A:\> AWD862 kv2v13b.bin /cc/cd/cp" and then press "Enter".
P.S. AWD862 is the flash utility while xxxxxxx.bin is BIOS file. You may get a newer version of BIOS flash utility (like AWD865) from our website. Please make sure that the file names you input for the utility &
BIOS file are as same as what you downloaded for your M/B.
(2) Now screen appears the following Flash Utility main screen. Press "Y" to save current BIOS. If you don't want
to save current BIOS, press "N" to pass this step. Right after that, press "Enter" to start BIOS Flash Utility.
Input the name that you want to save current BIOS as. In this case, I input "vxadback.bin" to save it. Then
press "Enter" to start it.
(3) After save the current BIOS, It will show a message as following to ask you to flash the BIOS Yes or not?
Press [Y] to continue the procedure, or press [N] to quit.
Beware: Please do not turn off the system while you are upgrading BIOS. It will render your BIOS corrupted
and system totally inoperative.
(4) The BIOS flash completed. Take out the floppy diskette from floppy drive, and then press [F1] to exit and
restart the system.
Step 4. Load BIOS defaults
(1) Normally the system redetects all devices after BIOS has been upgraded. Therefore, we highly recommend
reloading the BIOS defaults after BIOS has been upgraded. This important step resets everything after the
(2) The boot up screen will indicate your motherboard model and current BIOS version.
(3) Don't forget to press "DEL" key to enter BIOS setup when system is boot up. Use the arrows to highlight the
item "LOAD OPTIMIZED DEFAULTS" then press "Enter". System will ask "Load OPTIMIZED Defaults (Y/N)?"
Press "Y" and "Enter" keys to confirm. Then press "F10" to save & exit setup.